The flood waters have resided in most of SE Minnesota, and I had a new fly rod. I hit the road Saturday morning hoping to fish some new water. I scoped out some new spots, but wasn't sure about the trespassing laws, so I went back to a familiar area. I did fish a new section of a stream I've fished quite a bit in the past. The water was clear, with just a hint of cloudiness. The flow appeared to be at a very fishy level. By the time I hit the water, the winds had picked up to a level just below gale-force. Casting was going to be a chore, better left to the 7 weight in the car, but I insisted on trying the new one.
I started off with a two-fly combo consisting of a caddis pupae trailing a black stone beadhead. It didn't take long for my foam indicator to go down, as I set back on what felt like a good fish. I took my camera out of my pocket during the fight, hoping to get a good "first fish on new rod" picture, but put it back after realizing the caddis pupae was snagged in the fish's belly. Not much action after that. I was feeling a bit lazy that day, so I didn't mess around with switching flies or indicator depth. As the afternoon temperatures climbed into the 50s, I noticed a few mayflies flying around. A few minutes later there were some duns floating in the drift, occasionally getting slurped up by eager browns in the slack-water eddys. This finally prompted a change of flies. Looking in the dry fly side of my box, I grabbed a very realistic imitation that I still had from fishing the meadow's of Elk Creek in Colorado last summer.
The 3 weight delicately placed the fly right where I wanted it, and it looked just like a natural in the drift. This little guy agreed.
The action continued for about half an hour and I picked up about 5 or so. It was fun to see them wait in their lies and come to the surface for the fly every time I kept the drift natural. I had a handful of refusals anytime the bug floated funny. That short period of dry fly action made the day worthwhile.
Spring Pics 2017
5 days ago